Tire retailers, vehicle dealers, auto service centres, dismantlers, municipalities and private waste management companies can all be classified as a Collector. Working directly with the consumer, Collectors provide a vital service ensuring all scrap tires are kept out of landfills.
As outlined in the Tires Regulation (Regulation 225/18), Collectors must fulfill the following requirements under the new framework:
- Register with the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (RPRA), providing specific information as outlined by the regulatory
- Create and submit an annual report to RPRA that contains information as specified by the authority
- Maintain records that can be accessed or examined in Ontario for five years from the date of creation
- Submit audits of the practices and procedures as required by Producers to ensure Producer compliance
Working with eTracks
Starting January 1, 2019, eTracks will oversee recycling, administration and ensure compliance for tire Producers obligated under Ontario end-of-life tire regulations (RRCEA). eTracks will enroll approximately 5000 collectors who must also be registered with RPRA. Once a Collector is registered with RPRA, they need to also enroll with the eTracks system in order to be eligible for tire pick up by an eTracks enrolled Hauler in 2019 and beyond.
Collectors and Haulers will need to work on a business model that is mutually agreed upon, surrounding the collection of their scrap tires from their facility. Collectors will have 90 days to submit their transactions to eTracks based on the used tires picked-up from their facility within that given quarter.
Once enrolled under the eTracks program Collectors need to ensure that they meet the following requirements:
- Report on the types and quantity of tires they collect
- Accept free used tire drop-offs for the types of used tires that they agree to collect
- Store tires in accordance with the Ministry of Environment and Fire Marshall Regulations and in a manner that ensures they are free of foreign material and excessive moisture and are secure and accessible for easy pick up
- Use an enrolled eTracks Hauler
Benefits of enrolling as a Collector under the eTracks Program:
- Work with the largest PRO in the province of Ontario
- Free pick up of all used tires at your business location from an enrolled eTracks Hauler
- Access to the eTracks TreadMarks System which allows the tracking of all tire pick-ups
- Company Business names posted on the eTracks website as an enrolled eTracks Collector